Cast Arsenal
transfers
feeds.feedburner.com5 hours ago

‘I know for a fact’ – Ian Wright addresses Lewis-Skelly Arsenal exit rumours

‘I know for a fact’ – Ian Wright addresses Lewis-Skelly Arsenal exit rumours

Ian Wright has admonished sections of the Arsenal fanbase over their reaction to speculation surrounding Myles Lewis-Skelly and insisted the youngster’s family are not attempting to engineer a move away.

Lewis-Skelly has been at the centre of considerable transfer speculation after reports emerged that intermediaries had offered Manchester United and Chelsea the opportunity to sign him.

However, subsequent reports had it that the 19-year-old is fully focused on remaining at Arsenal and establishing himself in Arsenal manager Mikel Arteta’s plans, while the club are not actively trying to sell him.

Speaking on The Overlap, Wright particularly took issue with suggestions among some supporters that Lewis-Skelly’s mother and representatives have been responsible for generating the speculation.

“Arsenal fans need to chill out with his mum, saying that his mum’s touting him about,” Wright said. “I know for a fact it’s not coming from his team. I know it’s not coming from his mum.”

The Arsenal legend added that Lewis-Skelly has already made his own preference clear before questioning why the club have not publicly ended the uncertainty.

“Why haven’t Arsenal just said he’s not for sale?” Wright asked, before expressing concern about how stories involving intermediaries had emerged despite the player’s desire to remain in north London.

The confusion partly stems from conflicting reports surrounding the England international.

Reports last week claimed an intermediary had contacted Manchester United and Chelsea about Lewis-Skelly, while Manchester United have continued assessing options as they look to strengthen at left-back.

Gary Neville acknowledged during the same discussion that Lewis-Skelly would represent an attractive signing for United, particularly because an academy graduate could theoretically generate substantial “pure profit” if Arsenal decided to sell.

Yet Lewis-Skelly’s actions on the pitch have hardly suggested a player distracted by speculation.

He scored during Arsenal’s 1-1 pre-season draw against Como before starting Sunday’s Community Shield against Manchester City.

The Hale End graduate then produced a superb reverse pass to create Riccardo Calafiori’s opening goal after only 25 seconds as Arsenal demolished City 3-0 in Cardiff.

Lewis-Skelly also signed a long-term Arsenal contract last summer and has been with the club since the age of eight.

Wright’s message therefore appears directed at both sides of the debate: Arsenal should provide greater clarity over an important academy graduate, but supporters should not blame Lewis-Skelly’s family for speculation without evidence.

For now, the player’s own position appears considerably clearer than the rumours surrounding him — he wants to stay and fight for his place.

The post ‘I know for a fact’ – Ian Wright addresses Lewis-Skelly Arsenal exit rumours first appeared on ArsenalNews.co.uk.

Read more